Wednesday, February 20, 2008

There are many uncertainties in life...so how do you cope?

It's funny how over the past year I have become more resolved to really accepting the uncertainties and changes in life. By that I mean I am able to understand that when something good or bad happens, it does not necessarily guarantee anything; especially with the bad things. Before I was always wondering why negative things (or rather what I interpreted as negative things) had to happen to me. I think this partly was an effect of my being a creative minded person. Where is the correlation you ask? Well my creativity leads my mind to wonder, interpret, and analyze so many things. I hardly ever see something as just concrete, I usually find the abstract in everything. This does not make me the most artistic and creative person, I actually know much more creative people whose talent I admire immensely, on the contrary this way of thinking can and has lead me to trouble sometimes. I use to be able to sit by myself for hours wondering about everything around me, which would lead me to analyze things in my life especially the negative things. This can be a good thing if you use that to propel you to do better and try and change the negativity, but it can be seriously harmful if you just spend too much time dwelling on it and becoming depressed about it. I use to have a habit of doing the latter too often lol. But just recently over the past year or two I have learned how to understand and accept that life is uncertain; it is an exam that you will not finish until the bell rings and you exit this life. Everyday you are presented with tests and challenges, and also opportunities to overcome and do something good that will benefit you and others. It is not an easy test; even the most brilliant people are stumped along the way, but you still must perservere and keep trying until it is over. At least that is better than letting it defeat you. Trying to remember and strengthen my faith and the stories and examples I was given growing up, in addition to the things I see everyday, helped me to arrive at this point. I realize and accept much more that there are always going to be those moments where I hit a bump, but I will try to keep going and learn and even appreciate those moments as life's little uncertainties and lessons that help to shape me into who I am and aspire to be....Well the reason I am writing about my new outlook, is because today is my Dad's first day of chemotherapy treatment. In the past I probably would have been really down and panicked about it, but now I am actually in a state of calm acceptance. This is a test that we have to get through right now, and being negative about it is not going to help nor change the situation. The Almighty-willing we will get through it for better or worse and hopefully learn something along the way---

1 comment:

rickshawdiaries said...

Salaam dear Wasaki,

May God grant your Dad full health and recovery!

You have a beautiful perspective and attitude toward this. Sometimes we can't change a situation but we can choose how to react to it.

Warmly,
Baraka