Thursday, August 23, 2007

Workin Hard or Hardly Workin?: People Steal The Darndest Things You Know

Well I had another fun-filled night at Wally World; from associates and customers making passes, coping-a-feel under the disguise of a friendly gesture, to management lying about having access to paychecks until morning and later being caught that night handing out the same inaccessible checks to favored associates, to finding the nights stolen articles. Some favorites of thieves includes, but certainly not limited to, condoms, DVDs and over the counter medicines. Most bizarre stolen item every discovered: empty denture adhesion box. After leaving the "institute" I had my first preliminary interview with the other company today. I was a little offended by the interviewer when she questioned me with ridicule in her voice, as to why I gave up my job at USPS and kept Wally World (just a few months ago I had the 2 as full-time jobs), she acted as if I were stupid and she did not believe my reason. Just because she could not understand it, did not give her the right to try and belittle me. People sometimes have to leave a higher paying job in place of a lower paying one for many reasons, but in my case I was at Wally World when I started the USPS and when I had to quit the USPS, I still had my job at Wally World, so it is not actually as if I left the USPS for W.M. Anyway she told me she would give me a call in the next 5 days if they wanted to do further interviewing and testing, so we will see. The question I hate the most when doing an interview, especially when the job you are applying for is not necessarily the type of work that most people would choose as a life-long career, is "Why do you want to work for us?" "Hmmm let me think,....I need the money right now!" As if you go to McDonalds and apply to be a fry cook because it has been a longtime goal of yours (maybe for some people it is)... "Well now Miss/Mr. tell me why do you want to work at McDonalds?" "Well sir every since I was a little girl/boy I have been dreaming of working under stressful, greasy conditions and earning minimum wage." Don't get me wrong I am not knocking anyone who has to take these kind of jobs, you do what you have to sometimes in order to survive (I know I am), but I am just pointing out the fact that the employer of such establishments should not even bother asking any sane person this question. Unless the applicant has shown up to the interview wearing a I hate McDonalds T-shirt on, then don't bother asking the question......Man I really need to get out of this rat-race.

2 comments:

LastStand said...

I can relate on so many of the things you've said. Thanks for the link!

Raghav said...

Wonderful Dear. Every where in the world the rat race is on & it is tougher & tougher day by day. if there is a healthy competation it is fine but i don't like the one where in u have to go up my destroying some one else.
regarding the petty theft, i have seen it in most of the place. i don't know why ppl steal such cheap things which they can afford to buy.
any ways this is wht it is & we have to just go around it.